What is Python?!

Robert Wierschke wierob at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 07:14:26 EDT 2005

hi

I'm learning python since 3 days. I' ve some programming experience in
BASIC, Pascal, C, C++ and Java. Actually I want to add a scripting
language to this repertoire (I have virtually no experience with
scripting).

Having read that python is object orientated, I start wondering if
python is the right choice and what it is...

	a scripting language or a "normal" language like C++ etc.

So please tell me what python is, what are it's strength, what is it
good for and when should I use it and not one of the other languages.

other questions:
What about graphic? Can I create graphical interfaces with python?

Python is interpreted but is it compiled to something like the java byte
code or are there other ways to prevent the user to read my code?

further hints for learning python and recommendations on books,
tutorials, exampels, etc. are also welcome.

thanks