loop in python

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Aug 23 03:48:41 EDT 2005

km wrote:

> the first thing any newbie to python asks me is abt "raw speed in
> comparison with similar languages like perl" when i advocate python to
> perl.

In that case it is easy enough to follow the common industry practice and
tweak your test cases until your favourite product comes out faster.

$ time perl -e $'sub f() {for $i (0..10000000) {}} f();'

real    0m1.075s
user    0m1.073s
sys     0m0.000s

$ time python2.4 -c $'def f():\n  for i in xrange(10000001): pass\nf()'

real    0m0.878s
user    0m0.871s
sys     0m0.005s

Working hypothesis: All benchmarks where Python comes out slower than Perl
are not done properly :-)

Peter