OpenSource documentation problems

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 31 23:17:40 EDT 2005

> Bryan Olson wrote:
>> Whatever else one says about open-source documentation, keeping
>> it current is a major unsolved problem.

Python does pretty well.  Doc updates, when needed, are an expected part of
patches.  Every couple of months or so, F. Drake releases a new
'development version' of the docs which I presume is synched with the
current development version of the code.  So when x.y.z or x.y.alpha1 is
released, there should not be a hugh scramble to cobble together a
corresponding doc set.

The process is not perfect: people still find mismatches.  But complaints
about 'f**king docs' are truly obscene (IMO).

Terry J. Reedy