Py: a very dangerous language

yoda nochiel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:50:07 EDT 2005

It was 2a.m.... I was writing my first enterprise scale application in
Python.... the logic just flowed from my mind onto the keyboard and was
congealed into the most beautiful terse lines of code I had ever
seen...

It was 3a.m.... I knew I had to sleep.... work the next day or rather,
in a few hours.... but Python somehow brought out all the logic. All
the verbosity of my thought was purified into clean beautiful logic...

The Python was wringing the cruft out of my thought and letting me
generate wonderfully clean code.... I have to sleep... this is the last
line of code i'm writing...

It was 4a.m.... just one more def... then I'll sleep..

It was 5 a.m.... just one more class...I'll sleep now.. I've got to go
to work in a few hours....

It was 6 a.m.... just one more lambda...I'll really sleep
now...seriously... I've got to go to work in a few hours....

Python is a very dangerous language... It is addictive.. Once you start
coding, you simply can't stop.... No language has every made(allowed?)
me to think so clearly before.... This is madness.. I hardly every
sleep... I simply can't stop coding when I use Python....

This is scary... maybe I should switch back to Java: a language so
unwieldy that I'm driven away from the keyboard in disgusted
frustration....

I need to sleep.. but Python won't let me... Python is a dangerous
language....