Sandboxes

42 nospam at nospam.com
Mon Aug 22 14:32:52 EDT 2005

In article <CtGdnQr23dpbdpTeRVn-2A at powergate.ca>, peter at engcorp.com
says...
> 42 wrote:
> > But for what its worth, I *am* curious what sorts of holes persist. I
> > did try googling the archives, but with no idea what I'm looking for --
> > python security brings up a mess of unrelated issues... Python in
> > Apache, rexec/bastion stuff, xss, issues with infinite loops and many
> > other 'security' issues that might be relevant to someone running python
> > on a web server where you have to be concerned about DOS but not of any
> > concern to me... and so on and so forth.
> >
> > Can you, or someone, at least give me a few keywords I should be looking
> > for that will bring matches for the sorts of attachs you've hinted at?
>
> "security" plus just about anything involved, such as rexec, bastion,
> eval, and exec, appear to bring forth reams of relevant info.  Try
> sorting by date instead of Google's questionable "relevance" to make
> sure you're getting some of the more recent discussions too.

I was planning on "sanitizing" the language instead of relying on rexec
and bastion so issues with them shouldn't be relevant.

And I'd already covered that the sanitized language would not have eval
and exec along with a dozen or so other builtin keywords/commands (which
I listed in a previous post) would not be allowed in scripts... the pre-
parser will simply reject any script containing them before running it.

If eval and exec (and others) simply aren't allowed in the scripts; then
the 'sneaky' things they might do aren't an issue.

I'm curious about the 'other' stuff that was alluded to, that could
still occur in a python with all its __import__, import, exec, eval, and
various reflection/metadata builtins prohibited (e.g. getattr)...

regards
-Dave