py2app and Bittornado

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 30 19:17:00 EDT 2005

bsharitt at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to get Bittornado to run on Mac OS X (10.4 with Python
> 2.3.5) but I've only ever dealt with Python at lower lever scripting
> stuff, never wxPython or another GUI stuff. py2app is supposed to be
> the tool to create Mac friendly Python applications(like py2exe on
> Windows), but the documentation for py2app doesn't seem to be much
> help. The setup.py script that comes with BitTornado doesn't run when I
> type python setup.py py2app and produces the following error:
>
> usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
>    or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
>    or: setup.py --help-commands
>    or: setup.py cmd --help
>
> error: invalid command 'py2app' (no module named
> 'distutils.command.py2app')

You need to write a setup.py (actually, probably you should name it
something else like "setup-app.py") that specifies the appropriate
information. From the py2app documentation, the simplest example would be

    from distutils.core import setup
    import py2app

    setup(
        app=['MyApplication.py'],
    )

Then you can do

    python setup-app.py py2app

If you need more help, I suggest asking on the PythonMac-SIG mailing list.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter