len(sys.argv) in (3,4)

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Thu Aug 11 11:53:58 EDT 2005

Daniel Schüle wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wrote a simple module, which is also supposed to be used as standalone
> program
> after considering how to avoid multiple if's I came up with this idea
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     if len(sys.argv) not in (3,4):
>         print "usage: prog arg1 argv2 [-x]"
>     # etc ...
>
> while develeoping I had my interpeter running and reloaded module
> now since I am ready, I wanted to run it from cmd windows shell
> but it always prints "usage ..."
> I added print len(sys.arg) and it prints 1 though I am provinding more
> than 1 value
>

> C:\pool\vhd2h\python>vhd2h.py vhd.vhd vhd.h -o
> 1
> usage: vhd2h.py vhdlFile hFile [-o]
>
> Someone got an idea what may be wrong?

Nope. But since you're running this on a very peculiar OS, I just can
guess that this very peculiar OS consider all args to be one same string...

Try this:
if __name__ == "__main__":
  for num, arg in enumerate(sys.argv):
     print "arg %d is %s" % (num, arg)

This should art least give you some hints...

BTW, isn't the DOS syntax for command line args something like :
> myprog /arg1 /arg2

???
--
bruno desthuilliers