Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Aug 25 21:47:37 EDT 2005

"Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:
> Another advantage is that evewry internet-enabled computer today already
> comes with an HTML renderer (AKA browser)

No, they don't. Minimalist Unix distributions don't include a browser
by default. I know the BSD's don't, and suspect that gentoo Linux
doesn't.

HTML is designed to degrade gracefully (never mind that most web
authors and many browser developers don't seem to comprehend this), so
you don't really need a "subset" html to get the safety features you
want. All you need to do is disable the appropriate features in the
HTML renderer in your news and mail readers. JavaScript, Java, and any
form of object embedding. Oh yeah, and frames.

No problem.

   <mike