Jargons of Info Tech industry

usenet at isbd.co.uk usenet at isbd.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 04:50:34 EDT 2005

In comp.lang.perl.misc John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
> usenet at isbd.co.uk wrote:

> >> No, simple since there *are* alternatives: web based message boards.
> >> Those alternatives *do* support HTML formatting (often the subset
> >> mentioned
> >
> > ... and generally these "web based message boards" (i.e. forums I
> > assume you mean) have none of the useful tools that Usenet offers and
> > are much, much slower.
>
> Yup, Slow because of all the HTML and avatars. And you suggest to introduce
> such a thing to Usenet?

No, quite the opposite, I like Usenet News as it is.

> And which useful tools do you require?

A choice of news readers to suit different people with different
interfaces, filtering, kill files, etc. etc.  A forum provides a
single, usually rather limited, interface for the user with no way for
the user to change it radically.

--
Chris Green