pre-PEP: Object-oriented file module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 25 18:28:49 EDT 2005

Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> I'd like to propose a new PEP [no, that isn't a redundant 'process'  in
> there :-)--pre-PEP is a different process than PEP], for a  standard
> library module that deals with files and file paths in an  object
> oriented manner. I believe this module should be included as  part of
> the standard Python distribution.

See the discussions at

http://python.org/sf/1226256
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054439.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054535.html

I'd be personally curious as to how you would be dealing with
Unicode file names. How to access file attributes is also
an interesting question (e.g. how to find out whether it is
a symlink, whether it is a hidden file, what the POSIX ACL
is, and what the 8.3 short name is)

Regards,
Martin