Dabo in 30 seconds?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Tue Aug 2 07:09:09 EDT 2005

Daniel Dittmar wrote:

> Because you put different probabilities on different outcomes. One easy
> 'risk markup' would be to assume that parts of the standard Python
> distribution like TkInter have a higher chance of working with the next
> release than external libraries like wxPython. Of course, there are lots

I think it will be true only if there's no package for the considered
toolkit on my Linux distribution, *BSD, Windows or Mac.  I don't see it as
a risk because having the toolkit available on the destination platform is
a pre-requisite and comes before coding.

If I already have the code working on some version, backwards compatibility
handles a little of the problem and besides, I can create one new package
for the lacking environment.  I just need to do this work once.

> of other possible criteria:
> - which has been under more active development in the last releases
> - which source code is easier to understand so that I don't have to rely
> on external help

- Which takes less time
- Which needs less hand written code
- Which provides more functionality
- Which has data aware controls
- ...

There are lots of other things that are considered, independently of the
toolkit.  None gets a "100% OK" grade, and some things have a higher weight
to me or to the client.

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>