Invoking GUI for app running in background with a keypress

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 15 22:52:36 EDT 2005

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller at gmail.com> writes:

> How does one go about doing this? I found a small program written in C
> (xbindkeys) that can do this and understand that it probably involves
> a lot of "low-level" stuff in X which feels a bit "scary" :). Any
> clues of doing this "easily" in Python + some module?

Check out the python xlib implementation <URL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-xlib >. It's a python library
that speaks native X - no C required. That lets you do those low-level
things in Python in a straightforward manner. It's not getting a lot
of work lately - because it's largely a finished product. I use it
heavily on a daily basis.

        <mike