How to determine that if a folder is empty?

Tue Aug 9 18:46:08 EDT 2005

could ildg wrote:
> I want to know this because I want to zip a directory and all of its
> sub-files and sub-directories to a zip file. zipfile module of python
> will not automatically include the empty directories, so I have to
> check if a dir is empty and do this manually....

Can you make work some variant of:

     wanted, stack = {}, ()
     for root,dirs,files in os.walk('.'):
         if files:
             # Don't worry about parent dictionaries
             for name in reversed(stack):
                 if name in wanted and (root.startswith(name) and
                                    root[len(name)] == os.path.sep):
                     del wanted[name]
                     stack.pop()
                 else:
                     break
         else:
             wanted[root] = True
             print root, dirs, len(files)
             while len(stack) and not (root.startswith(stack[-1]) and
                                  root[len(stack[-1])] == os.path.sep):
                 stack.pop()
         stack.append(root)

--Scott David Daniels