Release of PyPy 0.7.0

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Aug 30 20:53:53 EDT 2005

Michael Hudson wrote:
[snip

>>Obviously therefore anyone seeking to translate their existing code from
>>python to an executable directly using pypy would not be doing it for
>>performance reasons (again, something I'm aware of watching the
>>updates come out and having run svn checkouts at previous times).
>
> No, you're still operating at the wrong level here (very easily done).
> This is the _translated PyPy_ interpreting pystone.  If you run a
> _translated pystone_ you'll (hopefully) get a different, faster
> answer.
>
> In expected order of execution speed:
>
> interpreted pypy interpreting pystone
> translated pypy interpreting pystone
> cpython interpreting pystone
> translated pystone

Hey, wait, that's not enough! There are even more options since we (the
PyPy Project) also have the LLInterpreter. This is an interpreter for
low level flow graphs, the intermediate representation that our
translator produces (very useful for debugging). Therefore you also have:

CPython interpreting the LLInterpreter interpreting PyPy interpreting
pystone (verrrrrry slow, nobody ever waited for even the end of the
parsing of pystone on the llinterpreted PyPy)

and

CPython interpreting LLInterpreter interpreting pystone  :-)

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich