Sockets: code works locally but fails over LAN

n00m n00m at narod.ru
Wed Aug 31 09:03:00 EDT 2005

import socket, thread
host, port = '192.168.0.3', 1434
s1 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s2 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s2.connect((host, 1433))
s1.bind((host, port))
s1.listen(1)
cn, addr = s1.accept()

def VB_SCRIPT():
    while 1:
        data = cn.recv(4096)
        if not data: return
        s2.send(data)
        print 'VB_SCRIPT:' + data + '\n\n'

def SQL_SERVER():
    while 1:
        data = s2.recv(4096)
        if not data: return
        cn.send(data)
        print 'SQL_SERVER:' + data + '\n\n'

thread.start_new_thread(VB_SCRIPT,())
thread.start_new_thread(SQL_SERVER,())

The above code acts as an intermediator between a very simple VB script
and SQL Server. Like follows:
the vbs sends its requests to "fake" port 1434 and the python code
catches and re-sends them to sql server which listens to its DEFAULT
port = 1433... And vice versa.

VB script:

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
cn.Open _
"Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=192.168.0.3,1434;" & _
"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=pubs;" & _
"User ID=qwe;Password=asdasd;"

cn.Execute "select * from authors;"
cn.Close
Set cn = Nothing

It works fine (I see all client/server data printed in IDLE window)but
only locally. I.e. if vbs, python and sql server run on the same
machine.

If I run the vbs from some other machine in my LAN then it fails to
work out properly. Below is all that vbs and sql server are able to say
to each other:

VB_SCRIPT:
   SERVER qwe asdasd 000000a5 Р·€Ut
 Microsoft (r) W 192.168.0.3,1434  asdasd
  OLEDB

SQL_SERVER:
 Щ 3 г
 pubsmaster«0 E   # Changed database context
to 'pubs'.W   г

us_english «4 G   ' Changed language setting to us_english.W   г
cp1251 ­    Microsoft SQL Server  _ Вг
 40964096э

VB_SCRIPT:
 G           4096

In abt 30 seconds OLE DB Provider (on the vbs side) reports "General
Network Error".

PEOPLE, WHY ON THE EARTH IT DOES NOT WORK OVER LAN ???

PS:
Of course, without involving Python into the process vbs and sql server
communicate with each other just fine - no matter locally or over LAN;
on win2k machines or on/from NT 4.0 machine.