Can't compile with --enable-shared on MacOSX

Maarten Sneep iintbeumtnbfkcpntohw__NOSP at M__xs4all.nl.invalid
Mon Apr 18 11:28:13 EDT 2005

In article <6ee58e07.0504180620.4b157ebf at posting.google.com>,
 llothar at web.de (Lothar Scholz) wrote:

> i tried to generate a dynamic library from the official
> Python-2.4.0.tgz on MacOSX 10.3 but when i do the
>
> ./configure --enable-shared ; make ; sudo make install
>
> It links statically. It's also strange that i can't find a
> libpython2.4.a in my
> /usr/local/lib. It's not installed by the install command.

On Mac OS X the shared library functionality is obtained through
frameworks. It may detect this by default, but I'm not sure about
that. In any case read the install documentation, the correct options
are mentioned there, or you could just use the pre-built binary
install from python.org

> I get an error that TK/TCL was not found. Is this the reason, i
> thought i can simply ignore this error message.

Is not the reason, will go away once tcl/tk is installed (there is a
nice binary installer in the mac os x downloads section at apple.com

Maarten