Python licence again

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 22 20:26:19 EDT 2005

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy wrote:

>  Hi All!
>
> I know there has been a post about Python licencing but I have different
> questions. I tried to Google for "Python Licence" and "Python Licencing"
> but I could not find the answer.
> Is there a place where I can ready about Python licencing? (A FAQ
> maybe?) I really need to know the details of the licence, but not in the
> lawyer's language. Just simple questions:
>
> - How put a software under the Python licence?

While you can, sort of, and people have already pointed out the
appropriate web page to you, I ask that you *don't* use the PSF License.
The PSF License uses proper nouns that you will have to change[1]. When
you are done, it will no longer be the PSF License. It is my opinion
that this kind of variant proliferation is a nuisance.

Instead, you could use other well-accepted licenses that are broadly
similar to the PSF License.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.1.php

[1] For example: "1. This LICENSE AGREEMENT is between the Python
Software Foundation ("PSF"), and the Individual or Organization
("Licensee") accessing and otherwise using this software ("Python") in
source or binary form and its associated documentation."

You are neither the PSF nor is your software "Python".

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter