Lambda: the Ultimate Design Flaw

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:47:07 EDT 2005

"François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
news:20050407160342.GA16831 at phenix.progiciels-bpi.ca...

>To summarize, instead of saying "Python has only one way to do it",

As I explained in response to Aahz, what Tim Peters wrote was that Python
'should preferably have only one obvious way to do it'.  Omission of the
crucial qualifiers 'should preferably' and 'obvious' misleads any
discussion.

>rather say "Python will eventually have only one way to do it",
> and with such a wording, nobody will not be mislead.

The actual design principle, as opposed to the impossible
oversimplification, does not, in my opinion, mislead.  It is applied to
every new proposal, most of which get rejected.  What I can't tell is
whether you wish Python had added less new stuff or had already dumped more
old stuff.  For myself, I wish the next version would be 3.0 and slimmed
down a bit.

Terry J. Reedy