Decorator Base Class: Needs improvement.

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Apr 5 14:02:35 EDT 2005

Bengt Richter wrote:

> From the 2.4 Grammar, the key part seems to be
>
>     decorator: '@' dotted_name [ '(' [arglist] ')' ] NEWLINE
>     decorators: decorator+
>     funcdef: [decorators] 'def' NAME parameters ':' suite
>
> and further on
>
>     dotted_name: NAME ('.' NAME)*
>
> So the Python Grammar's name for the @-expression is just plain
"decorator"
> which conflicts with my English-based reading of the word ;-/

What about playing with the words decorator/decoration? The allegoric
meaning of the decorator

def deco(f):
    pass

would be: f is "vanishing under decoration" - all is vanity.

In the example deco would be both a decorator and a decoration. In
other cases deco were a decorator and deco(x,y) the decoration.

Regards,
Kay