gui developing

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Apr 22 16:26:51 EDT 2005

"R. C. James Harlow" <james at wrong.nu> writes:

> On Friday 22 April 2005 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > I've never tried Qt.
>
> Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes, has
> the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings, the
> best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.

Qt's technical superiority is unchallenged (pretty much).

> The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
> doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

Soon to change: Qt 4 for Windows (and the corresponding PyQt) will be
available under the GPL.  Dunno when Qt 4 is scheduled for though.  I
wonder if BlackAdder will carry on with roughly similar price and
licensing with Qt 4?

Also, somebody outside Trolltech was also doing a port of Qt 3 GPL to
Windows which apparently got quite a long way.  Whether that effort
continues, and whether PyQt will support that 'unofficial' port, I
don't know (not sure TT are hugely happy about the port, so perhaps
PyQt's author - Phil Thompson - respecting the people at TT as I'm
sure he does, won't support it).

Poor old Phil Thompson is fated to answer the same licensing questions
forever, though - an activity I suspect he dislikes even more than GUI
application programming <wink>

John