Strings and Lists

Tom Longridge tomlongridge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:12:00 EDT 2005

Thank you all very much for your responses. It's especially reassuring
to hear about other Python GA's as I have had some scepticism about
Python's speed (or lack of it) being too big a problem for such an
application.

With regard to using numeric, arrays or integer lists -- I didn't
mention that these strings can also contain wild cards (so I suppose
it's not really binary -- sorry). This is traditionally done using a
'#' symbol, but I was imagining using a value of None in a boolean list
to represent this. Also there is currently a fair bit of research going
into other representations (floating-point values, paired values etc)
so I was hoping to be able to keep my framework extensible for the
future.

Many thanks again for your help. I will ``take the plunge'' and give
the boolean list a go I think!