Thoughts on some stdlib modules

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 10 23:18:09 EDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 05:14 pm, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>>I'm not talking about things that absolutely have to be in the Python
>>interpreter core; I'm talking about things that *could* be bundled
>>with the standard distribution, *without* having to be relicensed,
>>or be forever maintained by the CPython developers.
>>
>>(the Linux distributors know how to do this: look for good stuff that's
>>either actively maintained or simple and solid enough to live for a while,
>>make sure the licenses are good enough, bundle the latest and greatest
>>version, ship tested versions at regular intervals, update when necessary,
>>and pass bugs and patches upstream.  why not use the same approach
>>for Python's standard distribution?)
>

> That sounds like a suggestion that there should be a "greater python"
> distribution --- python itself, the standard libraries (now released together
> as the "python distribution"), and the most commonly used Python
> packages (which presumeably would include the current free PIL, Numeric (or
> Numarray more likely), and so on.
>
> One might argue that Linux distributions are already doing this -- Debian
> does something like it, for example.  But there would be a greater cross-
> platform consistency if such a super-distribution existed.  I can imagine
> it would be particularly valuable to Windows users who can't benefit from
> the Linux packaging operations.
>
> I guess the other thing to compare to is something like SciPy, which is
> a kind of specialized distribution of Python for scientific applications.

No, Scipy is just a (large) package. Enthon, on the other hand, is just
such a distribution.

Windows:
http://www.enthought.com/downloads/downloads.htm
(go to the bottom for the latest and greatest)

Mac:
http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/ReadMe.html
http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/MacEnthon-0.1.dmg

Linux: