Which IDE is recommended?

Franz Steinhaeusler franz.steinhaeusler at utanet.at
Wed Apr 27 10:21:23 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:16:29 +0800, "monkey" <m at m.com> wrote:

>Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :-)
>(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
>
>Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
>develop?).

Hello,

I think, it is.
But SciTE is also nice (you can start Python Programs with F5, IIRC, and
you see the output of your program).

>But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
>also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
>it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

But I personally recommend DrPython. (Not only, I'm a member of the
project).

It is very customizable (Keyboard Shortcuts, customizable right-mouse
popup menu, Syntax Check, you can define your own scripts or macros and
you can extend it with plugins, as there are several available).

(Find/Replace in Files, Sessions, Code Completition, Document List,
Position Marker, Autocomplete, Incremental Search, Abbreviations

You can open several Python prompts in the editor and start your
currently typed program and view the output.
It is written in wxPython, open source and under development.

I use it for all my Python typing and development.

--
Franz Steinhäusler
http://drpython.sourceforge.net/