Encoding Questions

jalil at feghhi.com jalil at feghhi.com
Tue Apr 19 14:11:31 EDT 2005

1. I download a page in python using urllib and now want to convert and
keep it as utf-8? I already know the original encoding of the page.
What calls should I make to convert the encoding of the page to utf8?
For example, let's say the page is encoded in gb2312 (simple chinese)
and I want to keep it in utf-8?

2. Is this a good approach? Can I keep any pages in any languages in
this way and return them when requested using utf-8 encoding?

3. Does python 2.4 support all encodings?

By the way, I have set my default encoding in Python to utf8.

I appreciate any help.

-JF