Equivalent string.find method for a list of strings

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 8 15:49:42 EDT 2005

jeremit0 wrote:
> harold fellermann wrote:
>
>> file.readlines() returns a list of lines. You can either call find on
>> each
>> element in this list, like:
>>
>> for line in myfile.readlines() :
>>     if line.find('my particular string') :
>>         do_something()
>>
> I had thought that may be the only way to do it, I was hoping for
> something simpler as I wrote earlier.
> Thanks for your help,
> Jeremy

If you want line numbers,. of course, then you can use

   for linenum, line in enumerate(myfile.readlines()):

Remember that true to Python's philosophy numbering will start at zero.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/