Apache mod_python

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Apr 18 04:11:50 EDT 2005

Dan wrote:
> I've been writing a server application in Python.  The app listens on
> a socket and interfaces to a database.
>
> Now I'd like to write a web application to also access the database.
> It seems natural to use Python.  I've installed mod_python (Debian
> libapache2-mod-python2.3, mod_python 3.1.3-4).
>
> My question is, how mature/stable is mod_python?  Is it suitable for a
> production environment?  The documentation is a bit lacking, and I've
> found some errors in the demo example where it looks like the link
> should work, but it doesn't. (Could well be something I'm doing.).
> I've also noted that there's still work being done on it.

Hi Dan

mod_python is quite mature and stable and usable in a production
environment. However it is fairly low level and a lot of people like to
add another framework on top of it.
If you point out the documentation problems you're having then people
can say whether you're making a mistake or there is really an error

David