How to run Python in Windows w/o popping a DOS box?

pyguy2 at gmail.com pyguy2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 00:16:04 EDT 2005

>>I think of it like the ''.join semantics. The object knows best how
>>handle join (even if it looks wierd to some people). In the #! case,
>>the program knows best how to start itself.

>This I don't understand ;-)

With  ','.join(['a','b','c'])    You rely on what wants to join the
sequence to handle the issue of joining rather than have the sequence
understand joining. I think of it as the object knows best.

I think of  #! as "the program knowing best" how to startup, rather
than having to rely on something else to deal with it. I also like the
text based simplicity and explictness. Just like text based "etc" files
on unix versus the registry in windows. And, if you want you can add
more power like use env variables in #!.
It can be as simple or as powerful as you need, you can use whatever
means you want to manage the #! line: text editors, other programs,
etc.  It is data-centric, just like http, sql, file I/O rather than
verb-centric (learn another whole set of methods to figure out how to
change startup).

hopefully I am making sense,

john