Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Michael Kearns michael.kearns at REMOVEsaaconsultants.com
Tue Apr 12 04:40:24 EDT 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> For developers that need msvcr71.dll on the target system which don't
> have a license to distribute it, the solution is simple: they just need
> to advise their users to install python-2.4.1.msi. This comes with
> msvcr71.dll included.

I understand this, and it's obviously a solution. Unfortunately it
defeats the whole point of me 'freezing' my code in the first place.

The main feature (for me) of the way I could use this, was to create a
simple Java launcher that didn't require the user to install anything
extra, or end up with a whole stack of unused data on their machine.

They would see a .exe file, a dll and a pyd, and then the actual
application files, and that was it. It may be fine for a 'knowledgeable'
user to install python etc., but not for everyone.

Michael.