The convenient compiler for Python Apps and Distribution of it

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Mon Apr 11 18:38:30 EDT 2005

fred.dixon wrote:

> google for cx_freeze
> nevermind, here
> http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/
> linux and windows

Thanks. I think the question is really asking "is there an application
that can compile standalone python applications in various platforms?"
That is, is it possible to built a standalone python application in OSX
that runs on Windows, for example?

I've not used Freeze or cx_freeze before but my assumption is that it
can only build a sourceless package for its own platform. That is, if I
run it on OSX, then my built package is only for OSX. My assumption
comes from the fact that in cx_freeze, there isn't a "Python
distribution", so it seems to be bootstrapping the python system from
the host platform. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers
Maurice