Thoughts on some stdlib modules

Ron_Adam radam2_ at _tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 9 01:08:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:15:23 -0400, vegetax <vegeta.z at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Are those issues being considered right now? i cant find any PEP addressing
>the issue especifically, at least cooking it for python 3000.
>
>specific topics could be:
>
>grouping related modules.
>removing useless legacy modules.
>refactoring duplicated functionality.
>removing/redesigning poorly written modules.
>adding a module versioning system.

I've been thinking that the lib directory could be better named and
rearranged a bit.  I sometimes mistakenly open the libs directory
instead of lib because of the name similarity.

An alternative might be to use the name "packs" or "packages" in place
of "lib", which would emphasize the use of packages as the primary
method of extending python. The standard library could then be a
package called "stdlib" within this directory. Third party packages
would then be along side "stdlib" and not within a directory that is
within the standard library.

It would be mostly a cosmetic change, but I believe it would be worth
doing if it could be done without breaking programs that may have hard
coded path references to the library.  :-/

Ron