unittest vs py.test?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Apr 4 18:50:35 EDT 2005

"Raymond Hettinger" <vze4rx4y at verizon.net> writes:

> [Peter Hansen]
> > (I'm not dissing py.test, and intend to check it
> > out.
>
> Not to be disrepectful, but objections raised by someone
> who hasn't worked with both tools equate to hot air.
[...]

Why?  Peter had a reasonable question which, AFAICT, doesn't depend on
any more detailed knowledge that what he had to work with.

What I don't understand about py.test (and trying it out seems
unlikely to answer this) is why it uses the assert statement.
unittest used to do that, too, but then it was pointed out that that
breaks when python -O is used, so unittest switched to self.assert_
&c.  Does py.test have some way around that?

John