bytecode non-backcompatibility

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 28 00:32:23 EDT 2005

Maurice LING wrote:
>> I doubt anyone disputes that upgrades are more hassle than we would
>> like. My main point was that freezing CPython's technology is not the
>> solution. Any other upgrade helper that you can contribute will be
>> welcome.
>
> So there is no way of releasing a close-source application written in
> Python?

I fail to see the relationship between the statement and your question.

Again, whether or not the C API is frozen has nothing to do with
whether or not the bytecode format is frozen. So any implication
from not freezing the C API to not being able to ship byte-code
only is invalid.

As for only shipping byte code: sure, that is certainly possible,
and people do that all the time.

Regards,
Martin