newbie question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Apr 20 11:08:03 EDT 2005

In article <mailman.2137.1113949084.1799.python-list at python.org>,
Tiziano Bettio  <t.bettio at transnorm.ch> wrote:
			.
>If u want to achieve high performance you'd rather use c++ and directly
>access libs like nvidias cg, ms directx or opengl...
			.
			.
			.
Yes.  Well, maybe.  Python-coded programs, even graphically-intense
games, *can* exhibit good performance, and there are numerous
anecdotes about applications LOSING speed on conversion to C++ from
Python.  Moreover, there's no inherent conflict between C++ and
Python; some successful applications use both.

My summary:  it's a subtler matter than, "for performance, abandon
Python on favor of C++".  I think you know that, but I want to make
it explicit for less-experienced readers.