Coding Standards (and Best Practices)

Sylvain Thenault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Apr 27 06:04:13 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:02:33 -0700, Trent Mick wrote:

> [Isaac Rodriguez wrote]
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am fairily new to Python, but I am really liking what I am seeing. My team
>> is going to re-design some automation projects, and we were going to use
>> Python as our programming language. One of the things we would like to do,
>> since we are all new to the language, is to define a set of guidelines and
>> best practices as our coding standards.
>>
>> Does anyone know where I can get some information about what the community
>> is doing? Are there any well defined guidelines established?
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html

and you may also be interested by a tool such as pylint[1] which help to
enforce coding standards on your code base. Most of the styles suggested
in pep 8 are checked by pylint, using its default configuration.

[1] http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint/

--
Sylvain Thénault                               LOGILAB, Paris (France).