Lambda: the Ultimate Design Flaw

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Apr 1 23:55:37 EST 2005

[Aahz]
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard  <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> >No doubt it once was true, but I guess this ideal has been
> >abandoned a few years ago.  My honest feeling is that it would be a
> >mis-representation of Python, assertng today that this is still one
> >of the Python's ideals.

> Mind providing evidence rather than simply citing your feelings?

The important word was "honest", not "feeling". :-)

> Yes, there's certainly redundancy in Python right now, [...]

See here, I'm not asking you for proofs. :-)

> but a large portion of that will go away in Python 3.0.

And when will that be?  The principle of "there is only way to do it"
was observable in Python 1.5.2, and started to disappear at that time.
How many years between 1.5.2 and 3.0?

> So where's the abandonment of the ideal?

Many of us are using Python today, week after week, year long.  So let's
be pragmatic.  Python is what it became and now is.  Let's not define it
as a memory from the past nor as a futuristic dream.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca