goto statement

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 20 13:12:58 EDT 2005

Philippe C. Martin wrote:
> I do not want to pollute the debate but:
>
> -) I remember a software QA managanager responsible for "C" coding rules
> also not allowing us to use 'break', 'continue', or 'return' (in the middle
> of a function).

And I once worked (back in the 1970's) in a software shop where "because
procedure calls are slow in PL/1" we had to write them so each procedure
ended with a GOTO to a specific label variable. You would call these
monstrosities in the following way:

     MyProcReturn = DoneIt;
     GOTO MyProc;
DoneIt:

Horrendous. I lasted about five months and then couldn't take the
ignorance and idiocy any longer. They refused to believe that a
recursive function could ever be useful in the real world (but then, if
you only have a hammer ...)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/