recording data between [ and ]

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Thu Apr 21 09:11:32 EDT 2005

Output from 'netstat -b' on a win2003 server will show what binary is
responsible for the connection. For example, it may list something like
this along with other connection specific data:

[lsass.exe]
[System]
[firefox.exe]
[iexplorer.exe]

How might I process the output so that anything within brackets is
recorded to a log file of my own making? I know how to parse and record
things to a file, I don't know how to look make '[' and ']' appear as
special characters so that I can record what's between them.

Basically, I want a script that will read output and stop each time it
encounters a '[' and record until it gets to ']' where upon it would
stop recording and then proceed on repeating the above operation as it
goes thru the remaining data.

Thanks,
rbt