Why is Python not supporting full derivation of built-in file class?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun Apr 24 12:54:26 EDT 2005

This issue was discussed in another recent python-list thread, called
"Writing to stdout and a log file".

My second post includes a patch to Python's "fileobject.c" that made the
code that started that thread work, but for reasons I mentioned in that
post I didn't want to push for inclusion of my patch.  I didn't check,
but it will probably allow your code to work too.

If you feel differently, then the thing to do is probably to submit the
patch plus a test case to the sf.net patch tracker for python
(sf.net/projects/python, click on "patches".  you'll need a sourceforge
account to submit the patch)

Jeff
PS I did allow the Python test suite to run to completion after I wrote
that message.  It didn't produce any failures or unexpected skips on my
platform.