Wrapping C++ Class Heirachy in Python

Steve Juranich sjuranic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:18:45 EDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Andrew Wilkinson <ajw140NO at spamyork.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to wrap a C++ class hierarchy with Python types and I'd like to
> maintain the hierarchy in the types. I'm fairly sure this is possible,
> isn't it?

Yes.

> Are there any documents explaining how to do this, the standard Python
> manual doesn't go into enough detail about creating types for this.

Amen.

> I've found the tp_base and tp_bases elements and I've set them to the base
> type object (and a tuple containing the base type object) before I call
> PyType_Ready but in Python the base class isn't recognised. Is there
> anything obvious I'm missing?

Well, I can't really recommend without seeing what you did (did you
remember the preceding "&" for the type struct?

Otherwise, I'd have to recommend Objects/unicodeobject.c in the Python
source as a reference for how to do this.

I've had a couple of questions about how to implement new types that I
posted to the list, and never got much help, so I started using the
Python source as a reference.  I've gotten most of what I needed to
know from there.

HTH
--
Steve Juranich