A smallish Tkinter question

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at zoran.com
Mon Apr 25 07:37:05 EDT 2005

Hello Nick,

> """
> What I want: A little window to open with a 0 in it. Every second, the
> 0 should increment by 1.
> What I get: A one second delay, see the window with a 1 in it, and then
> nothing appears to happen. Never see the 0, never see a 2.  Any quick
> clues? Thanks. Nick. (Python 2.4, Win98).
> """
Read: http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/ and mainly
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/x9507-alarm-handlers-and-other.htm

from Tkinter import *

class Clock(Frame): #<<<
    def __init__(self, parent):
        Frame.__init__(self, parent) #<<<
        self.time = 0
        self.display = Label(parent)
        self.display["font"] = "Arial 16"
        self.display["text"] = str(self.time)
        self.display.pack()

    def run(self): #<<<
        self.loop()

    def loop(self): #<<<
        self.time = self.time + 1
        self.display["text"] = str(self.time)
        self.after(1000, self.loop)

win = Tk()
app = Clock(win)
app.run() #also tried run(win) with self,parent above
win.mainloop()

HTH.
Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at zoran.com>
http://tebeka.bizhat.com
The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys