bytecode non-backcompatibility

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Sun Apr 24 06:19:59 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been using Python for about 2 years now, for my honours project and
now my postgrad project. I must say that I am loving it more and more
now. From my knowledge, Python bytecodes are not back-compatible. I must
say that my technical background isn't strong enough but is there any
good reason for not being back-compatible in bytecodes?

My problem is not about pure python modules or libraries but the problem
is with 3rd party libraries with C bindings (not python pure). It means
that with every upgrade of python, I have to reinstall all my 3rd party
libraries which can be quite a bit of work...

I do hope this problem will be sorted out some day.

Cheers
Maurice