Help with splitting

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 18:01:49 EST 2005

RickMuller wrote:
> There's a chance I was instead thinking of something in the re module,
> but I also spent some time there without luck. Could someone point me
> to the right function, if it exists?

The re solution Jeremy Bowers is what you want. Here's another (probably
much slower) way for fun (with no surrounding empty strings):

py> from itertools import groupby
py> [''.join(g) for k, g in groupby('  test ing ', lambda x: x.isspace())]

I tried replacing the lambda thing with an attrgetter, but apparently my
understanding of that isn't perfect... it groups by the identify of the
bound method instead of calling it...

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order