[perl-python] Python documentation moronicities (continued)

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser+python-list#python.org at sigpipe.cz
Tue Apr 12 07:06:36 EDT 2005

# xah at xahlee.org / 2005-04-12 03:25:33 -0700:
> QUOTE
> compile(
> pattern[, flags])
>
> Compile a regular expression pattern into a regular expression  object,
> which can be used for matching using its match() and  search() methods,
> described below.
>
> The expression's behaviour can be modified by specifying a  flags
> value. Values can be any of the following variables,  combined using
> bitwise OR (the | operator).
> UNQUOTE

> And what the fuck is it unclearly meant by "OR" operator with the
> mother fucking bitwise jargon?

    "bitwise OR (the | operator)": it doesn't speak about an "OR
    operator", does it?

> for a exposition of IT's fucking stupid docs and their fuckhead coders,
> see:
> http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/xlali_skami_cukta.html

    Interesting reading, I might send you a few of my pet peeves for
    inclusion.

> you want to ask yourself this question:
> Can a seasoned programer, who is expert at least 2 languages, who is
> also a expert at Perl and knew regex well, and have just read the doc,
> must he, resort to many trial and error to see exactly what the doc is
> talking about?

    While I understand your frustration (I curse the same when I try to
    use the Python documentation), you are spoiling your message by
    the (IMNSHO well granted, but still) unhelpful profanity.

    Unfortunately, the python community seems to bathe in the
    misorganized half-documentation, see e. g.
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=python-list&m=111303919606261&w=2
    especially the reply that (as I read it) suggested reverse
    engineering as a viable alternative to documentation.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.