Name/ID of removable Media: how?

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Tue Apr 19 08:46:56 EDT 2005

There are sure thousand ways
of doing it "with windoze".
Here one of them (NOT tested) in form
of code snippets you can rearrange
for your purpose:

import win32com.client
axFSO = win32com.client.Dispatch("Scripting.FileSystemObject") # SCRRUN.DLL
axLstDrives = axFSO.Drives

dctAXaxFSO_NumCodeAsKeyVsTypeDescrText = {
    0 : "unknown type of drive"
  , 1 : "drive with removable medium (e.g. Floppy)"
  , 2 : "fixed drive (e.g. harddisk)"
  , 3 : "remote (i.e. network) drive"
  , 4 : "CD-ROM drive"
  , 5 : "RAM-Disk drive"
}

lstdriveLetterOFonSYSTstorageDevice = []
lstdriveTypeOFonSYSTstorageDevice = []

for axDrive in axLstDrives:
  if(axDrive.IsReady): # checks if a CD is inserted
    lstdriveLetterOFonSYSTstorageDevice.append(
      axDrive.DriveLetter.encode()
    )
    lstdriveTypeOFonSYSTstorageDevice.append(
      dctAXaxFSO_NumCodeAsKeyVsTypeDescrText[axDrive.DriveType]
    )
    # axDrive.SerialNumber
    # axDrive.VolumeName.encode()
    # for more of this kind just check out e.g. in the by Microsoft
    # free available JScript tutorial the chapter
    # "FileSystemObject Sample Code"
  #:if
#:for

Hope this helps.