Why won't someone step up and make use of the Free tools (was Re: Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Apr 12 16:25:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:42:54 -0500, Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:

>--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k
>
>I'm sorry that this is going to come out sounding like a flame, but it
>seems to me that there today only a few technical problems remaining
>with Python when built with mingw32.
>
>If one of the people who has expressed such deep concern about this
>"msvcr71.dll" problem would simply install the Free tools and start
>putting patches on sourceforge, it's quite possible that for the next
>2.4.x release the mingw32 "port" could be a first-rate one, and suitable
>for the uses that the posters in this thread have mentioned.
>
>Since mingw32 is Free (gpl and other licenses for tools, public domain
>libraries and copyrighted headers with "no restrictions for programs"
>built using the headers) anyone can install and use these tools and
>mingw creates no new problems with distribution of the resulting binary,
>whether the final product is Free or proprietary.
>
>(Admittedly I don't know anything about whether "win32all" builds under
>mingw32, and it's not clear whether binary compatibility with extensions
>built by microsoft compilers is an easy goal either)
>
>http://www.mingw.org/

+1
But credit where due. Someone has stepped up to a large chunk of the problem:

   http://jove.prohosting.com/iwave/ipython/pyMinGW.html

I am running a usable-for-most-purposes version of 2.4, that with the help of
an older version of the above (I should upgrade all those tools, but ;-)
I succeeded in building. It was the only way I could go from 2.3 to 2.4, since
the MS .msi installer stuff from MS does not itself install successfully on my NT4 ;-/

I am thinking that I'd like to make a script that would ease pulling all the pieces
from the net (urllib, and md5 checks to download stuff, a state log that would
permit easy resuming when something glitches, and automated dialogs for typical
installer info re locations preferences etc. But I got to thinking about sourceforge's
downloading interface choosing mirrors, and thought "later" ;-)

Well, when I get my next system ;-) But it may be moot, 'cause it will probably be Linux
or BSD (both of which I have on another old box which is too slow for X ;-)

Trouble is, I have banged on the pinching spots in my old NT shoes long enough
to where they are relatively comfy for my regular ambulations ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter