Regular Expressions - Python vs Perl

Thomas Bartkus tom at dtsam.com
Thu Apr 21 12:15:32 EDT 2005

"codecraig" <codecraig at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114098472.768814.281750 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
<snip>
> Well so far from what I have found, Perl is faster than Python for
> RegEx, although perl is harder to read.

Yawn

How about Python being easier to *write*?

It never ceases to amaze me.  It takes days, weeks, months, sometimes even
years to write significantly useful software.  And yet so many seem to think
it is worthy to bother over the seconds that might be saved at execution
time.

If one were to achieve a mere percentage point or two in improving the
"write" efficiency of software - think how much more the world gains in
software quality and quantity.  How about man hours saved?  Why does anyone
still waste so much angst over execution speed?

I doubt the total execution time for all the RegEx queries you ever ran took
as much time as you just wasted on your little experiment.
Thomas Bartkus