database in python ?

Andy Dustman farcepest at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:52:53 EDT 2005

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud wrote:
> > MySQL is an excellent option is very well documented.  It is also a
> > defacto standard for OpenSource databases.
>
> 	MySQL sucks for anything but very very basic stuff as it supports no

> transactions,

Transactions available since 3.23.17 (June 2000)

> foreign keys,

Foreign keys available since 3.23.44 (Oct 2001)

> procedures,

Stored procedures available since 5.0 (5.0.3 is the current beta)

> triggers,

Triggers available since 5.0.2

> concurrency, etc.

Who knows what *this* means. Anyone who thinks MySQL can't handle
multiple concurrent connections is clearly delusional or ignorant.

> 	Postgresql is a lot better, free, and the psycopg adapter for
Postgres is
> *very very* fast (a lot faster than the MySQL one) and it has a
> dictfetchall() method which is worth its weight in donuts !

Postgresql is also a fine database. But note that MySQLdb (the Python
adapter) also has an equivalent mechanism for returning rows as
dictionaries. As for speed: I don't do any benchmarking, but there
should be no substantial speed differences between the two interfaces.