Unicode problems, yet again

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 24 07:24:58 EDT 2005

Ivan Voras wrote:

> One thing that I always wanted to do (but probably can't be done?) is to
> set the default/implicit encoding to the one I'm using...

You can hack this into site.py, or mess with sitecustomize.py, but I don't
recommend it.

> I often have to deal with 8-bit encodings and rarely with unicode.

You often have to deal with non-ASCII text, that is.  Unicode is Python's
to deal with non-ASCII text in a portable way.  There's no need for you
to think in Unicode terms; just separate encoded text from non-encoded
text, decode on the way in and encode on the way out, and all your pro-
blems will disappear.

> Can it be done per-program?

Nope.

</F>