Web application toolkit recommendation?

Stewart Midwinter stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:01:53 EDT 2005

hi all:

I'm a python user in my day job. Now I want to take on a personal pet
project which will involve the creation of a website on my home
server.  I'll want to keep track of users through user accounts and
logins, allow them to upload information to a database (maybe mySQL or
SqLite), and in the future allow upload of GPS tracklogs and
subsequent presentation of those tracklogs on a graphical map image).

I can do all of the above today with the Leonardo project on SF, but
it's written in PHP, in which I am a relative neophyte, though I use
it to drive my own dynamic website using a mySQL database. (see
http://midtoad.homelinux.org/midwinter.ca/Poetry/index.php).

I would like to take a stab at doing this in Python instead of PHP,
but I'd like to hear from people who are familiar with both, or who
have a good understanding of web application toolkits in Python.
Which is likely to be the least painful route?

I'm already using Snakelets for a private internet blog, and would use
this if there were a database access module available.

I don't want to hear anything about Zope - it's way too complex for my
needs or desires. Other than that, fire away!

thanks,
--
Stewart Midwinter
stewart at midwinter.ca