Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy gandalf at geochemsource.com
Tue Apr 12 09:41:46 EDT 2005

  Hello,

I have some answers but for some of your questions, there are many
(possibly good) answers.

>1)Can i build web applications in Python ? If so how. I am planning to
>build a web application for intranet use which deals with workflow of
>Internal office communication.

I believe you want something that is more just a mailing list. There are
at least 4 different solutions for creating web sites with Python.
Here are some:

  Plone  (www.plone.org)
  Zope  (Plone is build with Zope)
  mod_python

Depends on what you need and how much time you have to do it.

>2)Which is best opensource database to be used with Python ?

Under Windows platform, I would like to recommend PostgreSQL 8 - fast
enough, it has many data types, procedural languages, triggers,
contributed extensions. Supports nested transactions, deferrable
constraints etc. For small applications, it can be too heavy.
For smaller, simple applications you can consider FireBird. It is more
simple and lightweight.
I also tried SAP-DB before. I cannot tell too much about SAP but it
looked promising.
I do not recommend MySQL. If you really want to take advantage of the
modern concepts of today's database systems, you will notice that MySQL
is not standard enough and usually you will find something that you
cannot do with it. (Otherwise MySQL is very popular.)

You can also try other "object persistence" systems. (For example, ZODB
) They are not relational databases but they can be good for you.

>3)When i write a remote execution script in python is it required that
>python should be installed in remote system.

I'm not sure what it means. Are you talking about RPC? You can write COM
servers using Python. Does this answer your question?

>4)I heard about Perl/CGI and that CGI application done by python
>too.....Is CGI still valid when PHP has taken over the WebApplication
>Development, Dominating.

CGI is still valid but nobody will recommend it to you. It is obsolete.
You should better use a templating or content management system. For
bigger sites, you can use a better web application server like Zope,
make the programming part at lower level. It requires more knowledge but
gives you virtually infinite number of possiblilites.

>Sorry if these questions are out of this group , but answers to these ?
>will help me a lot.

It seems to me that you have interests in various fields but it looks
you did not search on the internet.
For example, if you search for "web development Python wiki" on google
then you will get this link
on the first page:

http://www.fredshack.com/docs/pythonweb.html

I can't believe that you tried to get information from search engines.
Please do not ask this list to dig the information for you.
Search on the internet first. Use Python Wiki. Read the articles, read
at least the front pages of the tools found. Compare them yourself.
Then if you still need to choose between two but you cannot decide wich
one to use - you can come back and ask others what is their experience.

  Laszlo Nagy		      web: http://designasign.biz
  IT Consultant		      mail: gandalf at geochemsource.com

     		Python forever!